Tuesday, December 29, 2015

A grapefruit is joyless

Nietzsche has such a terrible attitude toward women: women cannot philosophize, their only role is to be wooed, to have this mysterious allure. I believe it sums up his romantic life: alone, surrounded by women he cannot intellectually relate to, but he is nevertheless fascinated. I'm annoyed when I read his passages on women, I usually skip them, but sometimes it is funny to read, to peer into the mind of a demented, romantically-alone genius. His screw is loose for all to see.

Which section on friendship do you refer to? Part 1,2,3,4? I brought my Zarathustra to Singapore, so I am happy to reread it. Quite possibly I haven't read it, since I can't stand listening to Z's preachy sermons for too long. It's such a strange medium to convey his ideas, to create a preacher. His other works are sublime, but Z? I haven't made up my mind. I'm glad you've read it though, you can fill in my gaps. I'm glad we can talk about Nietzsche.

When you talk of light and heavy, do you refer to the weight of the eternal recurrence, and the 'eternal lightness of being'? 

What is this quiet Judith? Or who? When? Did I ever know a quiet Judith? Or have I only known a quiet Judith. Quiet is relative. I don't think of you as quiet, except during episodes of rage. But perhaps you have been much louder. Do you entertain me? Am I quiet?

 
I've just finished shortening my Nature paper from 3600 to 2900 words. It's a gritty exercise, I've had to find the nitty-gritty of my writing. At first hope was bleak, but I find that sentences have a way of slimming down when one can identify fat. I actually overshortened my paper, and now I have to refatten it with some of the simpler derivations I removed. I congratulated myself with a grapefruit. We have those here too, though, not to mislead, they have been imported from California. The seeds are a bit tougher to chew; my family refuses to eat them, these seeds. A grapefruit is joyless if you can't stomach the seeds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home