Monday, January 12, 2015

Actualize

I didn't quite knock the socks off Harvard, but I impressed them enough to be their second choice for a fellowship. It seems their first choice declined. Shortly, Yale also made an offer. I was entangled between two fine universities, my mind toying with conflicting fantasies. During my time as a Schrodinger cat, I lounged and accomplished little. I welcomed the disorientation and a momentary loss of focus, and settled into the bustling rhythm of family activities. Yale finally solidified, and with some shame, I cut my ties to the Harvard faculty whom I admired, and whose hospitality I will remember. In Yale lives a kind Russian giant, and perhaps with him I have found a mind eager to connect with mine. Who can really tell from one conversation, but at least we had a good one. Back to classical living!

My psychological experience reminds me indirectly of our discussion of the quantum brain (did you read that chapter?), whereupon I recalled your claim that free will is an illusion. What a delicious thought. I checked out Sam's talk at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCofmZlC72g, but patience deserted me after ten minutes. I proceeded to buy his book, because the details mattered to me. He's an effective speaker, but does he really need to drink so much water?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home