Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Nature need not be so agreeable


I experienced an exquisite moment when peering into nature's fold, I find a reply. The congruence of two peaks, one in the experimental data, another in my model, to within one milli electron volt, experimental precision. The identification leapt out of my screen, slapped me dizzy, nearly made me cry. I kidnapped Master and explained to him how remarkable this was, that nature need not be so agreeable, that all our lives we could be a procession of blind ducks going round in circles; he was suitably impressed. The excitement bubbles out of me as I sit, irrepressible, I have to get up, expend this spiritual energy. Elvis asked me why I was pacing around the lounge in circles; his eyes are lined with dark. The Yali group gathered around me in anticipation. This taciturn group of skeptics, they will be blown away.

What happens when matter gains consciousness, self-awareness, curiousity? Sagan, that true romantic of science: we are a way for the cosmos to know itself.

Structure reminded me of wine and weighty conversations, when we shared lofty dreams. In one respect our ambitions align. She wanted to become close to nature, close enough to be able to name it - we agree, wordlessness is a crime. Me? I want my equations to be more than just numbers and symbolic manipulations, I want my models to be more than just caricatures, I want them to capture elusive, heady reality.    

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home