Tuesday, April 10, 2012

It's been a while since I've felt like a beginner. After months of excuses, I find myself drawn to the salsa scene here in Princeton. After San Diego, a lot of joy went out of salsa, but I'm glad the vessel is not emptied, that the urge to dance never completely left me. I thought I'd begin with the beginner class to refresh myself; I actually thought I would feel a bit smug dancing with true beginners, that I would revel in my relative expertise. But I grew increasingly alarmed as the class went on. The basic steps of New York salsa were different, almost opposite, and my experience with San Diego salsa actually clashed with trying to master NY salsa. So ingrained was my desire to bring my left foot forward on 1! Now, the left foot goes back on 1, despite my inner voice crying out no. The first lesson turned out to be a struggle, so much so the instructors paid special attention to me. They were really patient. No, the other foot, they would say. Yes, I know!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home