Monday, April 16, 2012

Dear N,

The way you described Amnesty to me sounded almost like a religious cult, in which members demonstrate unquestioning obedience and fervor. Did you find the intellectual discussions you were looking for in Amnesty?

I am glad that you are in love. It sounds like C has similar ambitions as you do. Is C, too, disillusioned with Amnesty?

I myself am looking for romance. Since my social circle has not been expanding lately, I've decided to expand my activities, and rediscover the passions of old hobbies. Like Chess. I'm looking for a chess club. Like Salsa. I find myself drawn to the salsa scene here in Princeton.

Quite recently I went home to Singapore for a week, always an experience that leaves me emotionally ebullient. My sister N is currently doing an internship at Aware, an organization for women's rights in Singapore. She is faring much better there than you in Amnesty. You are right about the point of an internship of course, and N is learning much about ways to practice feminism in society, and she has close relationships with many of the top people in Aware. In fact, she applied to Amnesty in SF as well during the same time as you, but on hindsight (on your hindsight, that is) I'm glad she didn't go down that path.

It is very discouraging that you can't find a job. I don't know if the bad economy is the reason, or the nature of your major: political science. Probably both. How the humanities people struggle! What good is political science in today's job market? I read a story by Henry David Thoreau recently. I paraphrase:

An impoverished Indian was walking down the street and noticed in stark contrast how well his rich white lawyer neighbor is faring. The Indian thought to himself, I cannot weave arguments in court, but I can certainly weave! And so he weaved with great effort a beautiful basket, and returned to the lawyer in a week, bearing the basket to sell. The lawyer refused, and the Indian was astounded, then infuriated. So convinced was he of the worth of his basket, that he had never thought he would need to persuade other people of its worth. "I (Henry) myself have woven a basket of a delicate texture, but I had not made it worth anyone's while to buy them. Yet not the less did I think it worth my while to weave them, and instead of studying how to make it worth men's while to buy my baskets, I studied rather how to avoid the necessity of selling them."

Please don't feel bad about the 500 dollars. I've always thought of it as a loan with little or highly flexible constraints, and I do not doubt your commitment in returning it.

Mongolia! I can see how remote, exotic Mongolia may appeal to some people, but not you, because your humanitarian passion is always coupled with the desire for self-improvement and involvement with a global society. I see the pickle you are in, my friend. I believe an argument can be made for Mongolia against China, but before that, I would address my first thought: is this really an exclusive choice between A and B, or could you in principle eat both pies? In particular, I wonder why you say that you would be turning Peace Corp down for good? Could you (i) tell Peace Corps to hold onto your account till they have an opening in China, or (ii) reapply another year for China with exactly the same essays?

Love,
Aris

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home