Wednesday, August 08, 2012

I see 47 a lot

Dear J,

I am currently in Singapore. As the saying goes, I am eating very well. Lately I've been seeing the number 47 a lot. 47% discount on yesterday's Chinese dinner at Tunglok Classics. $4.70 for every second person at the Orchard Hotel Buffet if you dress in the national red. This coincidence prompted me to thinking that tomorrow is Singapore's 47'th National Day.

I wake up early in the morning to play Badminton with my parents, have breakfast with them, then depart to Starbucks for my daily dose of physics. After, I meet the family for dinner and dessert and we show each other pictures of exotic vacations and everyday life. Moon and I are currently planning a trip to the Great Barrier Reef and Queensland in December. It promises to be amazing.

Soon, I will fly to Beijing and visit the Institute of Physics, to talk physics with my advisor Andrei and a mutual collaborator. While I've started making some forays out of Princeton to talk with collaborators, these forays are typically short-distance and I travel by train. Now I feel like a globe-trotter, and to think I will barely understand anything the locals say in Beijing, but some words will leap out because of my rudimentary grasp of the language. The novelty of the experience is tantalising.

I will also be meeting Kat in Beijing, and we'll find some places to explore for a few days, where I am not yet sure. By genuine coincidence, we found ourselves in the same city in the same week; she has a conference there. And EW has been bugging me to go to China for a long time, so very likely he'll be joining us in Beijing as well.  

I only remembering reading Asimov's Nemesis, and I appreciated his futuristic imaginations, though I find his character dialogues stilted at times. An author that I recently discovered is Marion Zimmer Bradley, and I think you may like the Bloody Sun, because the protagonist Jeff Kerwin is fleshed out well and I suspect he will appeal to you.

While you've been mastering Solidworks, I have been trying to beef up my vocabulary in C, and to a much lesser extent C++. My teacher is the internet, this fickle creature, source of all truth, if you can find it. There are some things Matlab can't do efficiently, and in one of my research projects, I found myself in a position where efficiency is essential, and is possibly realized by lower-level machine coding.

Robots in attics? What do they do? Hunt mice or bombs? Whatever they do, that sounds like the kind of hands-on project that you enjoy. I'm glad to hear about the program with high school students. What exactly did you do with them?

Also, are you still staying at that falling-apart house with the two girls who are always tempting you to drink? How's it going by the way - the not-drinking. And what is the big K up to these days?

I miss talking to you. I know probably I can't tempt you to go to China. At some point we need to discuss a coast-to-coast visit again.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home